Monday 14 September 2015

Wonder Grains: Chia

Back in May I have decided to do a 4 week detox program and that required of me to forgo dairy, gluten and sugar. After the month has passed I continued on the clean eating path. I felt so good, was energized, lost some weight and was enjoying my new diet to such extent that I did not think about foods that I have given up.
I also started to discover many ingredients that would serve as replacement to the ones I no longer ate but would allow me to cook one diner for the whole family, rather than try and manage multiple diet requirements of my family members.




When I first came across Chia I was not impressed. It usually comes in small pouches, the seeds are tiny and I did not have high hopes of using it a lot. I thought I would go broke if it was to become a staple at my table. As it turned out a  little goes a long way so no worries!
Chia seeds come from a plant native to Latin America. Those tiny black seeds are considered a wonder grain and are gaining on popularity.

Here are top 5 reasons:

Chia is gluten free.
High in fiber
Chia seeds may be considered an excellent source of calcium for people who don’t eat dairy.
Like flax seeds, chia seeds are very high in Omega-3 fatty acids.
Chia slows down digestion – which may aid in combating diabetes and weight loss.

1 ounce ( 30g) of chia seeds contains:
Fiber: 11 grams – 30 % of RDA
Protein: 4 grams – 9% RDA
Fat: 9 grams (5 of which are Omega-3s).
Calcium: 18% of the RDA.
Manganese: 30% of the RDA.
Magnesium: 30% of the RDA.




For the most nutritional benefits it is best to soak chia seeds before using.

It can be used as part of breakfast like in Oats with Chia, if you make a chia gel (1.5 tbl. spoon chia seeds in cup of water, left in the fridge overnight), you can add one tablespoon to smoothies.

For hydration try making Chia Fresca

2 cups water or coconut water for after workout potassium boost
 1 ½  table spoon chia seeds
½ table spoon lemon or lime juice
½ tablespoon maple syrup

Mix seeds in water. Let sit for 10 minutes. Add lime/lemon juice and maple syrup.
  

When the seeds start separating give it a stir or a shake.


  Have you tried chia yet? Please share your favorite recipe.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for another great idea! I will definitely try this one out. Could you just let me know where I can buy it from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is an amazing grain. You can get it in health food stores. Thank you for your comments. Always so kind:))

    ReplyDelete