Happy Thanksgiving. How to make it a stress free one.
In Canada on a second Monday of October we celebrate Thanksgiving. Taking the time to reflect on our lives lived in comfort and peace, being grateful for being able to spend time with loved ones is a great reason for celebration.
Not only do we have a long weekend but also plenty of time to either relax or prepare for Monday’s holiday dinner. Actually, there is time for both.
I find that it is the easiest dinner to prepare for, mostly because it is one course.
Here is my plan for stress free holiday:
- Plan your menu a week before party. Choose sides that are crowd favorite.
- Do your grocery shopping 3 days before.
- Clean the house 2 days before.
- For always moist turkey, put it in the brine a day before the party. Bake cakes. Set the table.
- On the day of the party prepare side dishes, cook the turkey and have fun.
Stuffed Acorn Squash
This year I have gone for a really simple menu:
Acorn squash with rice stuffing (vegan)
Cranberry and pear sauce (vegan)
Pumpkin Spice Cake
Peach Crumble with vanilla ice cream
Fresh fruit platter
It makes for light a meal and since I do not use gravy I think we deserve two desserts.
Now, I better get back to cooking.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
What is your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?