Friday 27 May 2016

How to Make a Chalkboard Board



Lately, I have been obsessed with chalk paint, chalkboard paint and anything chalk.

A few years ago I made a pêle-mêle board to hang above my daughter's desk.  


Now that she is older she is not so keen on pink anymore (gasp!) she has been asking to replace pêle-mêle with a different board. I have decided to give my chalk obsession an outlet.

All I needed was an old dresser mirror (a street find) a chalkboard paint (a gift) and some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in White.



Why a mirror you may ask. Once you remove the actual mirror the backing is a smooth stiff board that does not need any prep work, other than just wiping it with a damp cloth. Perfect.
I painted the backing with chalkboard paint using a sponge applicator. I applied 2 coats.




The frame needed to be scrubbed well, as it was a bit porous, and I painted it with chalk paint. I applied two coats. I like the chalk paint mainly because you do not need to prep the surfaces that you are going to paint, it covers well and dries in no time.

After the paint on the frame dried I applied a coat of Annie Sloan Clear Wax. Polished it with a soft cotton cloth and Voila!



My very own chalkboard board!

There are many fun projects that you can do using blackboard paint.









Have you tried painting with chalkboard paint? Please share your project.

No comments:

Post a Comment