Monday 20 July 2015

Container gardening – herb galore

Just because you do not have a garden does not mean that you cannot grow your own herbs and vegetables. Quite contrary a lot of them do well in containers.



Not only will it provide you with the freshest possible product but the aroma of home grown herbs does not even compare with store bought ones.
If you have never tried it, start small and plant what you use most in your cooking. Some herbs are very hardy and many will winter outside if you give them a bit of protection from the cold.

My staples are thyme, oregano, basil, chives, and rosemary. I also grow lavender and sage and this year I got parsley and kale. Kale grows like crazy and I enjoy the young leaves in salads as they are more tender than the huge ones you get from the store. Those go in the blender.
If you have a bit more space plant peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes. I have a friend who grew pumpkins on her balcony!





As much as I loved having a vegetable garden I sure am not missing the weeding.

Are you ready to try? It is not too late. Let me know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment